Whew. I am so over the heat. We’ve been stuck in the humidity & triple digits for months now & I just can’t wait for it to be over. Our a/c has been running since January. No joke. All local fireworks were canceled and banned this year, since we’ve only had two days of rain since the start of 2011. I am not sure caroline even knows that that wet stuff is! In any case, all I can think of is Fall. Fresh baked cookies. Hot cocoa. Apple cider. I am longing for Fall. (Which of course, means we’ll get down to 80 degrees instead of 100+. Blah. Just 3 more years…!) But back to Fall…
I needed a little taste of Fall recently so I whipped up a batch of these. My new favorite chocolate chip cookie. I am fussy about my cookies. I want them both crispy AND chewy. (I am a Gemini after all.) Until I found this recipe, I hadn’t found anything that fit my taste. But here it is…for any of you craving a bite with a crunch, yet the chewy goodness of a Mrs. Fields cookie…YUM YUM & YUM!
CRISPY AND CHEWY CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
Yield: 2 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar (to make the cookie crack nice & pretty on top)
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (I prefer dark chocolate chips)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Cream together the butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Dissolve baking soda in hot water. Add to batter along with salt & cream of tartar. Stir in flour and chocolate chips. Drop by large spoonfuls onto ungreased pans.
- Bake for about 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until edges are nicely browned.
- I always use almost all organic ingredients–which really makes a difference.
- if you splurge on anything, splurge on vanilla. HUGE improvement in taste when you use good vanilla.
- These are best if undercooked just a tad. They’ll wind up crispy on the outside, but once you bite down, they are nice & chewy inside. MMM. Delicious!
- I never use anything but dark chocolate chips in any of my chocolate chip cookie recipes!
Hope you enjoy as much as I do! Do you have the perfect cookie recipe to share? Pretty please do! I’d love it! :)