What a week. The Destroyer got sick, was up night after night & yet still maintained her energy level during the day. I sure could learn a thing or two from her resilience. Then the ick hit me. THEN my hubby had laser eye surgery. & not the kind where you can see right away. He had the kind that gets worse before it gets better. So my week: sick kid. Sleepless nights. Sick mama. Visually impaired husband. Have I mentioned how much it sucks to sneeze after having a baby? I KNOW I am not alone on that one.
So, since life is hectic, I did not get to the topics I’d hoped this week. Well–there is always next week! I promised my recipe for my yummy BBQ sauce over on Facebook a couple of weeks ago & never got it up here. So as promised, here it is!
I have a really hard time finding good BBQ sauce. Mostly, it’s because there are very few BBQ sauces that do not contain high fructose corn syrup, and if I see those words on the label, the item does not go in my cart. This recipe has become my staple BBQ sauce & is now something I prefer over jarred sauces. It is so easy & you likely have all the ingredients in your pantry. As the title suggests, this is my ‘Oh Sh*t’ dinner. You know, the kind of meal perfect for a night when you really don’t want to cook but you want something decent for the family to eat. SO–I make it super simple. My tweaks below.
Black Pepper & Molasses Pulled Chicken Sandwiches
Found in Cooking Light HERE.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 sandwich)
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 12 ounces skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 (2-ounce) sandwich rolls, cut in half horizontally
- 12 dill pickle chips
- Combine first 9 ingredients in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, 23 minutes or until chicken is done and tender.
- Remove from heat; shred with 2 forks to measure 2 cups meat.
- Place 1/2 cup chicken on bottom half of each roll. Top each with 3 pickles and top half of roll.
- I use a precooked Rotisserie Chicken from the store. Then mix it with the sauce. If you really want to save time, get the chicken while it’s hot & use the warm sauce. Then all you have to do is combine & serve.
- I use wheat buns. (I keep a stash in the freezer since we never seem to eat all 8 that come in a pack)
- I serve this with organic mac & cheese (from the box, usually Auntie Annie’s) or Alexia Baked Onion Rings.
- Sometimes I’ll do a salad. We love the spinach salad from Costco (and it will last us two meals.)
- I typically double or triple this so I always have some in the fridge. I find it keeps very well!
- Be sure to read the Ketchup labels. Usually it’s loaded with HFCS too. I always buy organic Ketchup & Mustard.
Got an Oh Sh*t meal I should know about? I am always looking for good ones to add to my list! ;)